This was my second attempt at a knit hat. It was my second project using double points and my first trying color changes.
It was a great learning experience. I learned that I really do hate double points. Please - if someone has a simple hat pattern that does not require the use of double points, can you point me in the right direction?
I did fairly well with the basic knitting in the round. My gauge wasn't perfect, but for a 3rd project, I thought I did pretty well. Following the pattern for the color change was no problem and I was happy with that part of the work. If I do this pattern again, I won't change to double points until after I do the color change part. The reductions don't start until the color changes are done, so I'm not sure why I had to change needles so early.
Up until the reductions, I was very proud of my progress. Then the problems started. I seem to knit very tightly, so I had a lot of problems controlling all the needles during the reductions. It was hard to work the needles in for the reductions. More than twice I dropped a needle and had to pick up stitches and re-load them onto the needle. I did that fairly well, but I definitely made mistakes there. Then when I got to the last three rounds, it become impossible to work. My stitches were so tight, and I kept dropping them, and I never got to reduce all the way to the end.
In the photo the cap looks pretty good, but there are holes in the top where I fudged the reductions. I could probably use a crochet hook to weave in some green yarn and close up the holes, but I don't think this hat is actually wearable.
So thumbs up for the learning process and thumbs down for the finished project.
Have you looked into the Magic Loop method or using 2 circulars? After loads of failed attempts with DPNs (your work looks fab, by the way), I looked into these methods and I love them.
ReplyDeleteI have heard of this method, but don't know how to do it. I'm sure I can find a tutorial online. I'll check it out. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteWell done! Hat is adorable and that's not the easiest of things to do on your 2nd try.
ReplyDeleteI don't use DPN's, or the magic loop method. Magic loop looks awkward even when I see advanced knitters using it. I use a 16 circular and really have no problem, even making a small infant hat. I think your top decoration--stem area though might be problem with it.