Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Sugar and Spice


and everything nice - that's what little girls are made of!

I think this little frilly cap is just too cute! It was very fast and easy to make.






Sugar and Spice Baby Hat

This frilly cap can be made in any baby weight yarn. I used Bernat Baby Coordinates and a G hook.

Chain 4, slip stitch in first ch to form a loop.

1) 12 dc into loop, slip stitch to top of first dc to join (12 DC)

2) chain 1, 2 dc in same stitch, 2 dc in each stitch around, slip stitch to top of first dc to join (24 DC)

3) chain 1, 1 dc in same stitch, 2 dc in next stitch, * 1 dc in next stitch, 2 dc in next stitch* repeat ** all the way around, slip stitch to top of first dc to join (36 DC)

4) chain 1, 1 dc in same stitch, 1 dc in next stitch, 2 dc in next stitch, * 1 dc in next 2 stitches, 2 dc in next stitch* repeat ** all the way around, slip stitch to top of first dc to join (48 DC)

5) chain 1, 1 dc in same stitch, 1 dc in next 2 stitches, 2 dc in next stitch, *1 dc in next 3 stitches, 2 dc in next stitch* repeat ** all the way around, slip stitch to top of first dc in back loop only to join (60 DC)

6) chain 1, 1 dc in back loop only of same stitch, 1 dc back loop only all the way around, slip stitch to top of first dc to join (60 DC BLO)

7-9) chain 1, 1dc in same stitch, 1 dc in each stitch around, slip stitch to top of first dc to join (60 DC)

10) chain 1, 2 dc in same stitch, 2 dc in each stitch around, slip stitch to top of first DC to join (120 DC)

11) chain 1, sc in stitch, hdc in next stitch, 2 DC in next stitch, hdc in next stitch, sc in next stitch. * sc in next, hdc in next, 2 DC in next, hdc in next, sc in next* Follow ** pattern around for a soft wavy brim. Slip stitch to first sc to join. Finish off.



This is an original copyrighted pattern. You may use this pattern for charity and personal use. Feel free to link to the pattern at this site, but do not post it elsewhere.




19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

super quick cute hat, just love it, I'm 'down under' played with various hook sizes until I got the size I wanted they all turned out so cute, well down, love your patterns

Blogger Happy Knitter said...

How do I get the rest of your lovely patterns in particular the pink hat & sweater set?
tonya underscore stewart at hotmail dot com
Thanks

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also interested in seeing some of your other patterns. Point me in the right direction. Have computer will surf.

Blogger Wormie said...

Thank you, Mickey! I post my patterns here in my blog so if you scroll through you'll find more patterns. Hope you like them!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just made the hat up for my 3 year old niece and she LOVES it! Could you email me so I can send you the pics of her wearing it? I used 2 strands of yarn together throughout and added a 3rd strand of fancy yarn for the last row. Great pattern!
drgngems@yahoo.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the baby items. These are my favorite things to crochet. Is it possible to get copies of your patterns?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you soooo much. I am Italian and couldn't find a nice, simple and... for free pattern on Italian web sites. Tomorrow I'll start before going to the seaside with my beautiful daughter! ;)))) Dominga

Blogger brandileigh2003 said...

what is the gauge on this?
what age baby did you intend this for? (what head circumference?)

Blogger Wormie said...

I'm sorry Brandi - I didn't check my gauge or measure the hat. This was for a very young baby - newborn to a few months. I have changed the hook size though, and followed the same pattern to make hats in all sizes from newborn to toddler.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how can i make this for my 12 month old i love this pattern and it is so girrrrly like me

Blogger Wormie said...

Glad you like the pattern!

It's easy to adjust it to a bigger size. Follow the basic pattern. In the beginning when you are increasing to make the crown, continue increasing for one or 2 more rounds to get the size you need. Then as you start to work down the height of the hat, do a few more rows to make it the size that will fit your child. Then follow the ruffle pattern to finish. I made this hat for myself - just increase as many rows as you need to make it fit.

Hope it works out for you!

Wormie

Anonymous Heather said...

Wormie, I love your pattern! It is absolutely adorable. I made it for my niece and everyone went crazy over it. I, too would like to make it in bigger sizes for various family members and was wondering if you could further explain how to do that. Sorry to sound repetitive but I'm very new to crocheting and don't quite understand what you meant in your last comment. Where you are putting 2 dc in every second stitch, then every third, and finally fourth, is this where you mean to continue increasing so that the next row I would put 2 dc in every fifth stitch then every sixth etc.? Thank-you for your time and for posting such a sweet hat.

Blogger Wormie said...

Thanks, Heather! I'm really glad that you like this hat!

Yep - you've got the right idea. You can make this hat bigger by increasing the top the way you described -

"continue increasing so that the next row I would put 2 dc in every fifth stitch then every sixth etc."

When the top of the hat is the right size continue with the pattern doing 1 DC in the back loop of each stitch around. Then do several rows of DC in each stitch around to get the height required from the hat.

To finish the hat follow the instructions on row 11. Depending on how many stitches are in your next to last row, you might have to play around with the pattern on this row. In a pinch, you can always do 2 dc in each stitch around to give a light ruffle.

If you have any trouble you can e-mail me at WormsWords at g mail dot com.

Good luck!

Anonymous Heather said...

Thank-you so much. It's working great. I've also found that using a heavier weight yarn is making a big difference.

Blogger Wormie said...

I'm so glad it's working for you!!! Send me a photo!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice pattern! I have a question on the size or the circumference of the head. I am making this hat for a 9 mos. old. Is it okay?

Please reply, Thanks!

Blogger Wormie said...

This cap might be a bit small for a 9 month old. I would use a slightly heavier yarn with an H hook to make it a bit larger.

Blogger Cat24 said...

What does the hat look like"..............no picture to admire!

Blogger Wormie said...

There are two photos at the top of this post. Not sure why you can't see them.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG