Thank you to the crocheters who helped me test this pattern and refine the instructions. I think it's now ready to share, and I'm really pleased with this design. I think it's a pretty pattern, and I really worked hard at getting this one right.
I'm sharing this pattern for free. It is my original copyrighted pattern. Feel free to use it for charity and personal use. Do not copy it onto other websites or sell it, but feel free to link to it here. I designed this square specifically to use for blankets for Operation Marine Corps Kids. I hope that you'll use and enjoy this pattern for your charity of choice and for personal projects, but if you have it in your heart to send at least one completed square to Operations Marine Corps Kids, it would be very much appreciated. The donation address is given below.
Sunshine Square 6”
Small amounts of Sport Weight yarn in 2 colors
I used Softee Baby yarn and a G Hook
With Color A
Ch 8, join w/ slip stitch to 1st chain to form loop
1) **Sc in loop, ch 5, sc in loop, sc in loop, ch 7, sc in loop** repeat from ** to **3 times, join with ss to first sc (4 chain 5 loops, 4 chain 7loops)
2) ss into 1st chain 5 loop, chain 4 (1st tc) 2 tc, ch 2, 5 dc in chain 7 loop, ch 2, **3 tc in chain 5 loop, chain 2, 5 dc in chain 7 loop, chain 2 ** repeat from** to ** 2 times, join w/ slip stitch to 4th chain of 1st chain 5
3) ch 3, dc in next 2 tc, 2 dc in chain 2 space, dc in next 2 dc, 2tc, chain 3, 2, tc in next stitch (corner formed), **dc in each stitch and chain space across next side (total of 11 dc), 2tc, ch 3, 2tc in next corner stitch**, repeat ** on last 2 sides, dc in next 4 stitches, join w/ ss to top of first chain 4. finish off
4) attach color B w/ slip stitch to any corner space. 2dc, ch 3, 2dc in corner space,**15 dc along side, 2dc, ch 3 , 2 dc in corner space**, repeat from** to ** on two remaining sides, join w/ slip stitch
5) Slip stitch into corner – 2dc, ch 3, 2dc in each corner – dc along each side, join w/ slip stitch
6) Repeat row 5 – finish off.
This is an original and copyrighted pattern. Please feel free to use this pattern for charity and/or personal use, but do not sell the pattern or post it to other sites. You may post links to this site.
I ask that if you use this pattern please consider donating at least one finished square to:
Marine Corps Kids
1570 LaCosta Drive West
Pembroke Pines, FL 33027