Thursday, January 19, 2012
Slow go, Matey
Last November I was diagnosed with a probably Central Retinal Vein Inclusion. Basically, this is a blood clot in the eye which results in some small hemorrhages, retinal swelling and distortion/loss of vision. Initially, the vision loss was very minor, but over the last two months it has gotten significantly worse. This problem is quite annoying but not horrific. While my general vision is horrible, with my contact lenses I still have 20/20 vision in my good eye.

The good news is that there are treatments, and in two weeks I will go for my first injection. I'm trying to be brave, but I admit that injections in my eye are a bit nerve-wracking. In truth, I'm not too scared by the injections themselves. I know that the doctor will numb my eye, and the hope of improving the vision makes the injections almost welcomed. The part that scares me the most is the spring clip that will hold my eye open. Thinking about that gives me visions of Clockwork Orange that just freak me out. I'm trying not to focus on that, and to focus on the fact that relief will be coming.

The distortion in the bad eye, and the huge difference between the two eyes have created some challenges - including making crocheting and knitting significantly more difficult.

As a result, I don't have many projects to share. When the eye gets painful, I put on an eye patch and do my best pirate imitation. I believe that as a pirate, I should be really good with a hook, and that crocheting shouldn't be too hard. My knitting project has been difficult though - it's hard to see the yarn and my depth perception is off.

I want to knit a hat for my husband and hope that by using a non-novelty yarn, I will have an easier time seeing the stitches and completing the project. I bought some yarn today, and will try to start that project later this afternoon. Wish me luck!


3 Comments:

Blogger JCDiTaranto said...

Good luck with the hat, but much more importantly, best of luck with the eye treatment!

Blogger Wormie said...

Thank you! The hat is going well (though I counted wrong on my pattern and am going to try and run a life line to frog a few rows). Hopefully the eye will go well too!!

Blogger Dorothy said...

Oh, I do wish you luck ---- all the luck in the world. I've always felt that eyes are so precious, even though I have lousy eyesight myself which, at the moment is getting worse because of a cataract. I can't imagine not being able to knit or crochet - I'd go crazy. Hope your treatment goes well. xoxox

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG