Saturday, January 12, 2008
Livie Legs - Free Original Pattern



BabyLegs are all the rave with new moms, and they’re awfully darned cute, so when my niece asked me if I could crochet a version for her daughter, Olivia, I was delighted!

I used Baby Yarn and an F (4mm) hook.

Choosing the yarn:
You want to use a baby weight acrylic yarn. Two of the pairs shown here are made with Bernat Softee Baby. The mint colored pair is made from a partial skein of baby weight yarn I had in my stash. I don’t remember what yarn it is, but I really enjoyed working with it.

You want the yarn to be soft as it will be up against baby’s skin. You also want a sturdy yarn that will survive a lot of crawling. I advise staying away from novelty yarns with fuzz, fur or other fibers that can catch or shed easily.

Also note if your yarn has any sort of pattern. The pink and mint yarn I used is an all over pattern, and the leggings are solid colored. The blue/green/yellow pair was made with Bernat Softee in Dreamy Blue. The pattern on the yarn created a pattern in the leggings. This was not by design, but pure chance. The top of the legging made a great diagonal stripe pattern, but as I decreased in rows and the leggings tapered to the ankle, the pattern changed. This is not good or bad – some will like it, some won’t. Just keep it in mind when you choose your yarn. If you don’t like the change in color pattern, you will want to stay away from this sort of variegated yarn.

For my first attempt at this design, I used a traditional chain base row. A few rows later, I realized that this method didn’t provide enough stretch, and that the top cuff could cut into Sweet Livie’s thighs, so I started over using the Double Base Chain Stitch method. I had never used this starting method before, and I love it! It has a lot more stretch and give, and I think it offers a cleaner look. Follow the visual tutorial in the link for easy instructions.

I have written the pattern in two size versions – they are basically the same, but Version 1 is a bit thinner on top for lean babies, and Version 2 gives a bit more room at the top for deliciously chubby babies.

Version 1

Row 1 - using the
Double Base Chain Stitch, make a base row of 32 stitches. Join to form a loop being careful not to twist your work. (32 stitches)

Row 2 – chain 3 (counts as first DC), DC around, join to top of 1st chain 3 (32 DC)


Row 3 – Front Post DC in first 2 stitches, Back post DC in next 2 stitches. Repeat this pattern all the way around to form a ribbed cuff. Join


Row 4 – chain 2 (counts as first HDC), HDC all the way around, join w/ slip stitch


Rows 5–17 – Repeat Row 4


Row 18 – HDC in first 6 stitches, decrease HDC over next 2 stitches, repeat this
pattern around. join (28 HDC)

Rows 19-35 – chain 2 (first hdc) HDC all the way around (28 hdc)


Row 36 – chain 3 (first dc) DC around (28 dc)


Row 37 - Front Post DC in first 2 stitches, Back post DC in next 2 stitches. Repeat this pattern all the way around to form a ribbed lower cuff. Join

For Girls: Scalloped bottom edging

Row 38: chain 1, sc around, join


Row 39 – chain 3 (first dc) 4 dc in same stitch (forms shell), skip next stitch, sc in next stitch, skip next stitch Shell (5 dc) in next stitch – continue around. Join. Finish off.


For Boys or Girls: Simple Ribbed edging
Row 38 – repeat row 37 ( do a FDC in each FDC of previous round, and a BDC in each BDC of
previous round), join
Row 39 – sc around, join and finish weaving in tail of the yarn.





Make a second following the same instruction to complete the pair.



Version 2 (for a slightly larger legging):

Row 1 - using the
Double Base Chain Stitch, make a base row of 36 stitches. Join to form a loop being careful not to twist your work. (36 stitches)

Row 2 – chain 3 (counts as first DC), DC around, join to top of 1st chain 3 (36 DC)

Row 3 – Front Post DC in first 2 stitches, Back post DC in next 2 stitches. Repeat this pattern all the way around to form a ribbed cuff. Join


Row 4 – chain 2 (counts as first HDC), HDC all the way around, join w/ slip stitch (36 stitches)

Rows 5–17 – Repeat Row 4 (36 hdc)


Row 18 – HDC in first 7 stitches, decrease HDC over next 2 stitches, repeat this pattern around. join (32 HDC)


Rows 19-26 – chain 2 (first hdc) HDC all the way around (32 hdc)


Row 27 - HDC in first 6 stitches, decrease HDC over next 2 stitches, repeat this pattern around. join (28 HDC)


Row 28- chain 2 (counts as first HDC), HDC all the way around, join w/ slip stitch (28 hdc)


Rows 29-35 – Repeat row 28 (28 hdc)


Row 36 – chain 3 (first dc) DC around (28 dc)


Row 37 - Front Post DC in first 2 stitches, Back post DC in next 2 stitches. Repeat this pattern all the way around to form a ribbed lower cuff. Join


For Girls: Scalloped bottom edging
Row 38: chain 1, sc around, join


Row 39 – chain 3 (first dc) 4 dc in same stitch (forms shell), skip next stitch, sc in next stitch, skip next stitch Shell (5 dc) in next stitch – continue around. Join. Finish off.

For Boys or Girls: Simple Ribbed edging

Row 38 – repeat row 37 ( do a FDC in each FDC of previous round, and a BDC in each BDC of previous round), join

Row 39 – sc around, join and finish weaving in tail of the yarn.


Make a second following the same instruction to complete the pair.


This pattern is easy to modify to fit your baby.

Add or reduce the straight hdc rows to change the length for a perfect fit.

You can make the whole tube larger or smaller in diameter by adding or reducing stitches per row. Just be sure that your starting row and all subsequent rows have a stitch count in multiples of 4s.

I made mine in solid yarns, but have fun adding stripe patterns. Just make sure to leave a long tail when you change colors and weave it into your work going back and forth in the row. You don’t want to tie knots as babies will be crawling in these and knots will cause uncomfortable pressure on their knees and legs.

While I wouldn’t want to embellish these in too many ways as embellishment like buttons can be choking hazards, and sewn seams can irritate baby, I think it might be fun to sew fleece patches onto the knees or decorative bows to the tops.

If you have any questions you can e-mail me at wormswords@gmail.com.
And please send pictures of your finished Livie Legs! I love seeing what other people create from my patterns!


This is an original copyrighted pattern. Feel free to use it for personal or charity work. Do not sell this pattern, publish it, or post it on the web. You may feel free to link to the pattern here. If you like this pattern, please consider donating a completed pair of Livie Legs to Operation Marine Corps Kids to help support the families of our troops.


33 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I think it is great you are sharing your pattern! Congrats to you for perfecting it! I cannot wait to get the other pairs of LivieLegs from you! I will send you a picture of Livie wearing hers soon so you can post it! Thanks again! You are so talented!

Blogger Bliss said...

those are sooooo cute. makes me wish my daughter was still a little one, just so i could make her a pair. (well, attempt to make her a pair any way. LOL)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing this pattern. I am going to make my daughter a pair and her chichua dog one to wear but I need to put some feet holes in it.lol. Thanks again Tina.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wormie, there is a reporter that would like to come in contact with you. I put her details on the 25 things for Charity blog.

Cindy

Hey there..love the BabyLegs pattern...what size or age baby will these fit? I'm expecting a grand daughter in September and wanted to make some of these for her. I think she will be a large baby and then she'll be around 3 months by the time winter starts setting in. Thanks for your help!

Blogger Wormie said...

Dear Dream Queen,

Congratulations on the Grandbaby!!! I'm sure you're busy making her lots of lovely things.

The leggings will be large for a newborn. They're designed for that age when they start to crawl around a bit more. I'm thinking that these would fit a baby closer to 9 months. You could use a smaller hook to reduce them a bit.

Hope that helps.

Wormie

Blogger christy said...

Hi, I have been looking for a leg warmer pattern and I really like this one. However, my daughter will be around 18 months old by the time she can use these. Do you have any suggestions for a new crocheter to make this pattern work for an older child? Thanks - g.
rockgrrrl0223@hotmail.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new to crocheting and would like to try the leg warmers - but don't know what a double base chain is - can you help me out on this one.
tekroll@tiinettech.com

Blogger brandileigh2003 said...

hmmm-- your link for the double base doesnt work.

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi BrandiLeigh
Here is a link for a video tutorial on the Double Base Chain Stitch.

https://s.p9.hostingprod.com/@iamintheloop.com/artofcrochet/ssl/videos/dbch.php

Blogger Sirah Morgan said...

Thank you dearly for this pattern! I have been at my wits end trying to potty train my toddler without a way to keep his legs covered. & without frills or fancy stitches that leave holes to freeze more than his nads off through!
I will have to adjust the pattern to make it large enough for my foot long inseam boy but at last I have a use for some of my hoarded soft boucle baby yarn! He is also quite thick up in the upper thighs but at least I can adjust as needed with this pattern... hugs, gratitude and love,

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question - the "seam" at the beginning/end of each round doesn't run in a vertical straight line, but is veering off to the left (I'm right handed). Is it my technique, or is this correct?
Do you have an additional photo of the joins that you can post?

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi,
You're right. The seam will curve to the side as you decrease. I'm sorry I don't have a photo of the joins - I gave all the pairs that I made to my great-niece.
Depending on the yarn you use, the seam may be more or less visible. You can make it less noticeable by doing a s/c before you start the round.

Blogger April said...

It's been a while since you posted this, but hopefully you can still help me.

I can't figure out how to join the base row to make a loop without there being a big ugly gap. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi April.
I haven't made a pair of these recently, but don't recall having a problem with this. If you have a big gap when you start the 2nd row, you can do a chain-1, then dc around (instead of doing the chain-3 to start.

Blogger Kimela said...

Hi Wormie,
I am new to crocheting and I have been making baby hats. I want to make the baby legwarmers but I can not find instructions on how to make the double base chain stitch. I have looked in multiple crochet books for the stitch. The link you provided gives an error message. Please help. Thanks.

Blogger Wormie said...

Thanks Kimila,
I'm glad you like the pattern! Here's a tutorial for the double chain base stitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C362-7xu-fY

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having trouble finding a tutorial or understandable instructions for the "double base chain stitch method" as described in your "livie legs" pattern. Please help. thanks, Jo-Anne V.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry...please ignore my earlier comment...should have read your blogs and would have gotten my answer about the double base chain stitch. Jo-Anne V.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wormie thank you so much for sharing your pattern. they are so adorable. i am on my second pair right now! they are so adorable.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you tell me if your pattern uses US or UK descriptions. In UK a dc is different to what it is in the states - so I need to know if i have to translate!

Blogger Wormie said...

This pattern uses all US descriptions.
Thanks!

Blogger Chartreuse Goddess said...

A few people are commenting on the back seam....here's how I modified it: Chain ONE, when starting a single or half-double row, not two. Chain two when starting a double row. HDC's are the same height as a SC, just plusher (if that makes sense. Still vere's, as it should, however, there is no stitch-wide gp, as many hve mentioned. I always make this change on 'any' pattern showing too many chains on a new row. I've whipped up to pairs of these today and they're down-right awesome! One skein does it, and a second for a matching hat and wristers. Now to tye-dye some onesies and I'm all set!!!! Georgia

Blogger Ingrid said...

LOVE this pattern!! I have gotten SO many compliments for them! I made version 1 for my daughter who is 4 months and about 13lbs. I added a tie above the scalloped edge so she doesn't kick them off. there's plenty of room to grow, but they look like a perfect fit. Thank you SO much!!

Blogger Wormie said...

Thank you, Ingrid! I'm so glad you like the pattern and appreciate your note!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The site demonstrating the double chain stitch has an invalid certificate per my Mac OS so I don't want to log on there. Can you please just describe the double chain stitch for me?
Thank you so much for sharing your patterns.
My year-old granddaughter wears them all the time but they are so expensive to buy and look such fun to make!

Blogger Wormie said...

There are video instuctions for the double base chain stitch on You Tube. You don't need to sign in to view them, and it will be a lot easier to see the process than for me to try and describe it. The link is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C362-7xu-fY

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trying to make these wonderful leg warmers but having trouble joining the first row of double base chain (no chain foundation row). The pattern says to "join to form a loop" but I'm not sure where to join the stitch to connect into a round. If I slip stitch at top of stitch to join, it doesn't look right. Please help.

Blogger Wormie said...

When I made these I did a simple slip stitch to join - then when I was done, I believe I sewed another small stitch to secure the closure along the length of the DC.
Hope that helps

Anonymous Stephanie said...

Do you mind if people make and sell these? This looks like a great pattern, and I have lots of baby weight yarn I need to use. But I don't want to sell them if you don't approve of that.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Blogger Wormie said...

Thanks for asking, Stephanie. I would prefer that you not sell any finished product. I share the patterns for personal or charity use.
Thanks!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made these using sock yarn and they turned out GREAT!! I also shrunk the initial chain down to 28 so they would fit my newborn....she's no here yet, but I can't wait!

Blogger Wormie said...

So glad you like the pattern! Congratulations on your baby!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG