Friday, July 17, 2009
Something New!



For a long time I've been intrigued by "hairpin lace", but I didn't have a loom and I couldn't figure out just how it was done. Then Crochetroo inspired me with her beautiful hairpin lace projects, and I decided to do some research.

None of the craft stores near me carry hairpin looms, so I purchased a Boye Fork from Knitting-Warhouse.

There are several different tutorials and sets of instructions online. Most of them confused me. The one that I found very simple to follow was the Stitch Diva's video. After a few clumsy stitches, I got the hang of it rather quickly! I found the technique to be very relaxing.

I don't like to be negative, but I hate the Boye Fork. Having only worked with this technique for a few hours, it doesn't seem fair for me to already hate this loom, but it's not at all sturdy and the tension brackets keep slipping. I secured it with rubber bands and was able to do some practise strips, but the flimsiness of the loom was very annoying.

Hubby, seeing that I liked the craft and hated the loom, immediately went online and ordered me the beautiful wooden loom from the Stitch Diva's site!! I'm so excited! The site says it may take a few weeks to arrive, and I don't know how I'll possibly wait that long.

In the meantime, I'll continuing practicing on my rickety Boye loom so that I know what I'm doing when the wooden loom arrives.

The photos above show my first two strips. They don't look very impressive (in fact they look rather messy), but I can imagine some beautiful projects in the future with this technique!


3 Comments:

Blogger Drea said...

I'm so interested in how this goes for you. I bought a book that has a lot of wraps and scarves and one of the patterns is hairpin lace. My mom let me have her hairpin loom but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Blogger Sandy said...

I've always hate boye hooks. I could blindfolded and someone give me one and I know I could tell the difference. Susan Bates is shaped so much nicer. The pointed part of the hook on a Boye is nasty. Plus the weight of them never seems balanced to me.

I've not done much knitting or crocheting, been hard to; but am trying to get back into it.

I've got some hats and booties that I think will work for charity; but can't remember if you want regular or preemie sizes?

I tried to do hairpin lace way back in the sixties when it the "in thing" but never enjoyed it. Let me know how it goes for you.

Sandy

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Sandy,
For regular crochet I love the clover hooks the best. Like you, I do prefer Bates over Boye. The loom is just flimsy! I'm looking forward to receiving the new one.

Sounds like you've been enjoying your flowers a lot! I'm sure you'll get back into yarn when the days get shorter again. You had a few really tough months back there, so a little down time is probably good.

For MCK we take both baby and preemie sizes. Mostly we send baby items, but its nice to have some smaller things for when preemies arrive.

Hope you're having a nice weekend!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG