I've been having so much fun making cabled blankets, and was looking for a Cabled Hat pattern to coordinate with them. I found Bro's Cabled Beanie (available for purchase through Ravelry) and purchased the pattern. I love the look of this cap with the cabled brim.
I made mine with a thinner yarn than called for, and I'm not thrilled with the way it turned out. I tried doing the cable as the pattern called for, but it wasn't working for me - probably because my yarn choice was wrong. Instead I modified the cable to use four stitches instead of 3. I do like the cabling method used in this pattern. It is flat on one side and more appropriate for a hat than the cables I normally do, but somehow mine lost the feel of a true cable. It's an interesting pattern, but it doesn't read to me as a cable.
The next problem that I had was with joining the brim to the cap. Perhaps my brim was a bit shorter than it should have been, but when I stitched the 2 pieces together, the hat lost it's elasticity at the join. I don't think that's a good thing for a hat.
Finally, I thought this was going to make an adult size hat. Mine ended up being child size. Again, this is all my own fault and probably happened because I used a thinner than called for yarn.
I love the ook of the hat as designed, but am not happy with my version of it. I'll try again using a worsted weight yarn and following the cable instructions exactly, and maybe I'll have better luck.