Sunday, July 10, 2011
Making lemonade of lemons

Sometimes the best of plans fall short. I bought some beautiful yarns that I thought would all work together to make a gorgeous scarf. I warped up the loom and started weaving only to find out that I was wrong. One of the yarns that I chose for the weft was overpowering the warp yarn, and the whole thing looked bad. I wove about 6 inches, then unwove the whole thing to try plan B.

Plan B involved using the same yarn for the warp and weft. That actually looked great, but I didn't think I would have enough yarn to finish the scarf, so I decided to do stripes. After weaving about another 6 inches, I hated that too, and unwove the whole thing again.

Then I wove the yarn with just a few thin black stripes. Didn't like that but decided to do just a few stripes on each end and keep going. I liked the fabric that I was creating, but quickly realized that I didn't have nearly enough yarn to complete a scarf.

I searched my local yarn stores and the internet, but the yarn I needed seems to no longer be available.

Ok..... plan C. I wove as much as I could. It seemed to be enough to fold into a small purse. So I decided to end what I had, continue to make a thin strap, and then assemble into a purse.

Well, I stared weaving just the first inch of my warp to create the strap, and it looked horrible. The weave was messy and uneven, so I gave up on that as well.

In frustration, I cut the whole thing of the loom. That's when I realized just how much warp yarn I was wasting. I saved the long strands to use as contrast yarn in a future project. The small piece that I created is just enough to sew into a small purse. I'll but some black cord from the craft store to use as a strap, and that will be that. I don't think this is something that I would use, but I'm sure that there is someone out there somewhere who might like it.

Here's what it looks like now. I'll post a photo later when I get it sewn into a purse.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG