Monday, January 01, 2007
Original Pattern - Child's Striped Cap





After my last scary ugly design attempt, I felt a need to redeem myself. Today I worked on this child's cap. A very simple and versatile pattern that can be easily adjusted for adult and/or baby sizes.



Child’s Striped Cap (with instructions for adult and baby sizes)






3 colors of worsted weight yarn ( I used Caron Simply Soft)
H hook

Stitches used:
Chain
Slip stitch (ss)
HDC
BLO (back loop only) DC
BLO SC
Reverse SC


Basic Child’s Version

With Color A (main color)
Chain 4, slip stitch to first stitch to form a loop
1) chain 2 (counts as first hdc), 9 HDC in loop, ss to join (10 hdc including first stitch)
2) chain 2, hdc in same stitch, 2 hdc around, ss to join (20 hdc)
3) chain 2, hdc in same stitch, *hdc in next stitch, 2 hdc in next stitch*, continue pattern in * all the way around, ss to join (30 hdc)
4) chain 2, hdc in same stitch, *hdc in next 2 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch*, continue pattern in * all the way around, ss to join (40 hdc)
5) chain 2, hdc in same stitch, *hdc in next 3 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch*, continue pattern in * all the way around, ss to join (50 hdc)
6) chain 2, hdc in same stitch, *hdc in next 4 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch*, continue pattern in * all the way around, ss to join (60 hdc)
7) chain 2, hdc in each stitch around (60 hdc). SS to join in back loop only – change to color B
8) Chain 3, BLO DC around ( 60 dc), ss to join in back loop only – change to color C
9) Chain 1, BLO SC around (60 sc), sc to join in back loop only – change to color B
10) Chain 3, BLO DC around ( 60 dc), ss to join in back loop only – change to color A
11) Chain 2, BLO HDC around (60 hdc) ss to join
12) Chain 2, HDC through both loops around (60 hdc) ss to join in back loop only – change to color B
13 – 15) repeat rows 8,9 and 10
16) Chain 1, BLO SC around (60 sc) sc to join through both loops.
17) Reverse sc around bottom edge to finish off. Weave in ends.


Variations:
This basic pattern can easily be altered for different sizes and color combinations.






This adult size version was made in solid blue.
I started this hat by doing 12 HDC in the initial loop. Then I followed the basic pattern but added one additional row of HDC between the two stripe sections (do row 12 twice)





This baby version was done using Bernat Baby Coordinates and a G hook.
I started this version by doing only 8 HDC in the initial loop. I used just 2 colors and only did the striped pattern once (I omitted rows 13-15).


This is an original copyrighted pattern. Please feel free to print out a copy for personal use and to link to this pattern. You may use this pattern for personal and/or charity work.


18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look great, Wormie! Thanks for the pattern.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just what I was looking for to make for Valentine's day for my son. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love this! *THANK YOU!*(((((HUGS))))) sandi

Blogger makeitmommy said...

So cute! Do you mind if I make some for Christmas presents?

Blogger Wormie said...

Karma,
Mind? I would be delighted! If you want to send me pictures that would be lovely, too!

Wormie

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm new to chrochetting. I just learned the chain and single chrochet stitch. My daughter who is 10 wants me to make her a hat. Do you have a really simple pattern?

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Connie!
Welcome to crochet! If you're like me, you'll learn quickly and get addicted. You can make a lot of hats with just single crochet. You may want to look at some tutorials to learn double crochet and half-double crochet - you're projects will go faster (and then you'll be able to make all of my hat patterns! )

for a simple hat in sc, you just want to work in rounds and increase for the size you need. You can find lots of GREAT patterns and stitch tutorials at
www.crochetpatterncentral.com

There are lots of simple hat patterns there.

If you don't know how to increase stitches yet, here is a really simple pattern:

http://www.carewear.org/patterns/crochet/crochet.cfm?pid=_p22_single_crochet.cfm

If you want to try increasing (it's easy) this one uses all single crochet and should be fast:

http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/cpatt01.htm

Good luck!!

Blogger twin_mom said...

I would love to make this striped hat for my friend's five year old and his newborn brother. For the baby hat- after I do the 8 hdc in the ring would I double from there like in the child's pattern? I am sort of new to crochet so I apologize if this is a silly question. Thanks for your help!!!
oh and I made the "Rose is a Rose" hat last week for my twin daughters, and they are ADORABLE!!

Blogger Wormie said...

That's not a silly question at all!
Yes, you have it right. For the baby version, start with 8 hdc in the ring. Then for the next row, do 2 hdc in each stitch so there would be a total of 16 hdc in the second round. Then just continue to follow the pattern.

Hope you like it!

Blogger Ali said...

Thank you for posting the pattern for this hat. I have been learning crochet for less than two weeks and made this hat for my daughter in an evening. It was so easy to do! Now my boys want one each - I feel a trip to the wool shop coming on...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How old does the child's version fit.

Blogger vicky said...

I have a question will this fit a child of 8 years old thanks vicky by the way hat is wonderful

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Vicky,
The child size should fit an 8 year old.
Thanks!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love this hat pattern! Im making it for my cosine and it was a little hard a first but i figured it out! love it so much :):):):0

Blogger Julie Coleman said...

i want to make a hat for a 1 yr old,his bday is tomorrow. Do u think this will fit a 1 yr old? I seen u posted it would fir a 7 or 8 yr old so what size hook should i use to make it fit a 1 yr old? thankx,from:Julie

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Julie. I think that if you followed the baby pattern, but use an H hook, you should be fine. Good luck!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the pattern. I just made it for my 9 year old. I did it with a solid blue and no stripes but I did do the striped section an extra time to make it longer for him.

Blogger Angel said...

Thank you so much for sharing your talents and patterns. I just finished making this cap for my friend's 2-year old daughter. It turned out beautifully, and it was so easy to do! I did make it just a little longer so she can continue to wear it a few more years, for now she can cuff the bottom if it's too long. I used Caron Simply Soft yarn in spring green, fuschia and white sparkle colors. It's a nice variation on Christmas colors as it is a Christmas present for the child. I will be making a striped scarf to go along with it. I think I'm also going to do another set for each of my nieces. Will take some photos, but not sure how to post them on here. Thanks again for sharing! I've favorited your blog for the future!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG