Monday, April 26, 2010
Slow but Steady Progress

Still working on the pastel patchwork baby blanket. This has become the project that I work on in between other projects. Someday it will be done, and I think it will be very pretty.

Saturday, April 24, 2010
The revised Cap Sleeve Tunic

This is my completed Cap Sleeve Tunic. The top of the vest follows the pattern exactly, but the end result was too short to fit me. I added the raspberry band, the lower section and the button to make this wearable. I think the end result looks nice.

It almost fits. I think if I lose just a few pounds it will sit nicely at my waist.

For this project I used Blue Sky Dyed Cotton in Shell with Blue Sky Worsted Cotton in Raspberry for trim. I love the large wooden button. It was expensive, but it's so pretty!

The Fix
I'm not willing to give up on my Cap Sleeve Wrap project. The vest came out too short for me to wear. I don't know if this is because I substituted the yarn in the pattern for a worsted cotton, or if my sizing was just off. In any case, it's not wearable the way it is, so I needed to get a bit creative.

I purchased more of the yarn in a darker shade, and I'm adding a band of color at the waist with a button, and then another band of the base color. My hope is that this will add enough length to allow me to wear the vest, and that the button closure (I purchased a really beautiful large wooden button) will enhance the overall look.

I'm working on the bottom section which I must finish and then sew on, and we'll see what I end up with. Hopefully it will be a workable fix.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Recovery Project
While recovering from my foot surgery I slowly worked on a cap sleeve vest for myself. I've never crocheted something wearable for myself, and this was a cute pattern, so I was excited.

FAIL. It didn't really fail. I easily followed the pattern and the vest looks good, but it doesn't fit. It's too short, and because it was worked over the shoulder, I'm hard pressed to make it longer without changing the direction of the stitches.

I'll take a photo and post it later when I clean up all the loose ends, but it just won't work for me. Luckily, the surgery did work, and ultimately that's more important!

Monday, April 12, 2010
Off the hook, on the crutch
Haven't been doing much crafting these last few days. I had foot surgery last week, and have been layed up in bed. I'm doing really well, and seem to be healing on schedule, but crocheting in bed with my foot elevated is more awkward than I expected.

I think I'll be doing a lot of crocheting once my stitches come out and I have a bit more mobility. Until then, I'm sleeping a lot. I should be back to crafting and blogging soon.

Monday, April 05, 2010
Connie's Hug

This is a shawl that I just finished. It's for my sister-in-law, Connie. I think it's the prettiest fabric that I've created yet! I hope Connie likes it too!

This was woven with Ester Bitran Hand dyes Canela in Bronze/Peach. The yarn is stunning! So much sheen and texture. I had one skein tangle and had to throw away most of it, which was very annoying, but the yarn was truly amazing to weave with, and I love the finished work!

Thursday, April 01, 2010
Another Nursing Shawl

This is another nursing shawl that I wove for Marine Corps Kids. I used Lion Brand Homespun for the weft again, and this time used a vanilla colored chenille for the warp.

It's very soft and I hope one of the new moms will enjoy it.